Retired Seattle Police Officers Association

Last Ring

Take a moment to remember our friends and associates who have passed.

Steve “Glayd” Perkins #2528, retired Seattle Police Sergeant passed away on February 20, 2014 at the age of 78.

Steve grew up in the eastern Fremont area, so attended Lincoln High School. After graduating, he joined the Air Force. His MOS was Radar Tech, assigned to work on B52s at Fairchild AFB near Spokane. There he met his future wife, Darlene. They were married in 1957. They moved to Westover AFB in Massachusetts for three years. There he transferred to CID and was posted to Seattle for his final two years in the service. He liked investigative work but grew tired of military life. So he left the Air Force and went to work at Atlas Van Lines Mover while applying to the Seattle Police Department. His older brother Cliff, an officer with Lake Forest Park Police, who later became Chief, was encouraging him.
Steve joined the Department at the beginning of 1966. An aside – it was about this time that Steve’s brother Cliff stopped Fred Hill #3299 as he drove through Lake Forest Park. Fred dropped his grandfather’s name (“Spud” Murphy,) and even tried to recruit Cliff. It did not work. Fred still got a ticket for 5MPH over. He didn’t care because one week later, Fred was in Vietnam.
Steve worked Patrol for four years, then became an Auto Theft Detective. Then he went to Vice.
He was promoted to Sergeant two years later, assigned to 2nd Watch West Central. During this time he took advantage of his veteran benefits and LEAP funding by earning two AA Degrees and a BA. This was better money than off duty work. Steve became the aide to Assistant Chief Roy Skagen #2204. Later Steve was asked to be the first Mounted Sergeant. He turned it down so Al Wilding #1574 could do it. Steve returned to Patrol, working West, then finishing his career in the new North Precinct. He vested on September 1, 1986 after 20 years.
Steve always had an entrepreneurial spirit, so he went to work for Home Guard Security Alarms in the greater Seattle area for two years. Then he worked as a PI for civil law firms in Bellevue for several years. In 2005 he moved back to his wife’s hometown of Spokane and opened a tax and bookkeeping business. Steve and his wife “Dar” loved to drive throughout the country. She would listen politely while being bored with Steve’s enthusiastic geology lessons as they drove up mountains and through canyons.
Steve is survived by his wife “Dar”; three daughters, Joanne, Janice and Cheryl; two grandchildren, Mikal and Ashley. Steve’s older brother Cliff preceded him in death.