Retired Seattle Police Officers Association

Last Ring

Take a moment to remember our friends and associates who have passed.

Paul McCloud #2860, retired Seattle Police Officer Chief Dispatcher passed away on March 11, 2014. He was 71 years of age upon passing.

 Paul was born and raised in Estill County, Kentucky in an unincorporated farming area. After graduating from Estill County High School, he enlisted in the Army for six years, serving in Germany and Vietnam. He demobilized from Ft. Lewis in 1967 and applied to the Seattle Police Department. He was hired on April 30, 1968. He was assigned to West Central Patrol, 2nd Watch. During the evening hours, he attended the University of Puget Sound’s satellite campus at the PSB. The new federal program – Law Enforcement Assistance Program (LEAP), paid his tuition and the VA paid him to attend college. Paul said it was better pay than moonlighting. He earned a BS degree in Police Administration. After finishing up his degree, he transferred to West, 3rd. He partnered up with Jim Dyment #3576, for two years. During this time, Paul lived in the Lower Queen Anne neighborhood, so he rode a bike to work without a helmet, light, or reflective gear. And it was not in vogue at this time, so Jim would follow him home after the shift, yelling, “are you tired yet?” Today, Jim is an avid biker.
In the mid-70’s, Paul went to Georgetown and joined up with Bob “Scooter” Christophersen #3349. They worked the Valley and the Projects for years. Each night they filled up their log sheet. During this time, Paul decided to run the first Seattle Marathon. So he convinced Scooter to run around Boeing Field with him to get in shape. Paul ran in the marathon. That night at work, Scooter asked Paul, “how did it go?” Paul replied, “I finished with distinction, dead last and just in time to shower and rush to work!” Later, they made one of their best pinches. They captured a serial rapist (13 rapes in 3 months) and convicted him. In 1985, Paul was assigned to the West Precinct, 2nd Watch, King Sector for three years. Then he went to Communications for 10 years, becoming a Chief Dispatcher. He definitely knew how to take care of his fellow officers working the street.
He retired on October 1, 1995 with 27 years and 6 months of service. Then he returned to Radio the very next day as a civilian Chief Dispatcher. He worked another 9 years in Radio.
Paul quit work in 2004 and moved to West Virginia for a few years. He became a good cook and wine maker in retirement. If a bad batch happened, he drew upon his Estill heritage and simply distilled it into moonshine. He and his wife missed the Northwest, so they moved to Kent in 2009. Paul is survived by his wife, Catherine and his two daughters, Reanna and Javonne.