Retired Seattle Police Officers Association

Last Ring

Take a moment to remember our friends and associates who have passed.

Richard Craig #4558, retired Seattle Police Detective, passed away on May 23, 2017 at the age of 66.

Rick was born and raised in New York City. To escape the Bronx after graduating from high school, he joined the Navy in 1971 for four years. Then he joined the Marines for another three years of military service. His cousin, Bobby O’Donnell #4255 always claimed if Rick had learned anything at all in the Navy, he would have joined the Air Force, not the Marines for the second tour. Rick was tired of “seeing the world” so returned to New York City. However, it was in a recession. New York was on the verge of bankruptcy. So, Rick could only find intermittent odd jobs. He got a call from cousin Bobby, already a police officer, describing the job opportunities in Seattle and on the Department.

Rick came out to Seattle and applied to the Department.  He was hired on March 2, 1981. After his Student Officer Training, he was assigned to Georgetown 3rd Watch. He teamed up with cousin Bobby. They worked the Alki car, patrolling the beach on foot. Their fellow officers wonder why they did not get any complaints for using such course language. Here’s their secret – whenever a young beach bum came up complaining, claiming to call IIS about the foul language, Rick and Bobby would say, “go head, we’re New York cops on a transfer program to Seattle. Our real sergeant would love to hear from you that all we’re doing to you is swearing. Now get off the f$#&ing beach.” Then the young Seattleite would reply, “I understand New York huh! I’m leaving.”

In 1987, Rick went to SWAT for seven years. Rick’s next posting was East Burglary from 1994 until he retired in May of 2005. Rick finished with 24 years of service at age 55. When asked why he was leaving so young, he would reply, “because I can”. He moved to Mexico in 2007 and bought a house. The living expenses were $100 per week. He loved retirement there, fishing, playing the guitar, participating in martial arts, and drinking tequila.

This spring, Rick moved back to Seattle to be with his daughter Amy who had just given birth to twin boys. Rick got to hold his two grandsons. Then one week later, he passed away unexpectedly.

Rick’s goal was to live in retirement as many years as he worked on the Department. Regretfully, he didn’t make his goal. He is survived by his daughter, Amy; two grandsons, Jax and Raif; brother, Mike; and retired cousin Bobby #4255.