Retired Seattle Police Officers Association

Last Ring

Take a moment to remember our friends and associates who have passed.

Ed Marion #2059, retired Seattle Police Detective, passed away on October 6, 2016. He was 88 years of age upon passing.

Ed grew up in Cattlesburg, Kentucky. Following graduation from high school, he enlisted in the Navy in 1945 at the tail end of WWII. His unit participated in the first and second atomic bomb tests on the Bikini Atoll. After his tour was up, he returned home at attend the University of Kentucky, earning a degree in Civil Engineering on the GI bill. While there, he joined the Army ROTC program. When he graduated, he was commissioned an Infantry 2nd Lieutenant and sent to Korea. He was wounded at the battle of Outpost Harry. Ed stayed in the theater until the war wound down. Then he was assigned to Fort Lewis as a Captain in a transportation unit.

When he was discharged, he went to Boeing as a Civil Engineer. After two years of working behind a desk, after his exciting military experience, he got bored. He decided he was not only bored, but white collar was not his cup of tea. So he applied to the Seattle Police Department in 1959. At that time, the Department was expanding for the upcoming 1962 World’s Fair. Ed was hired in the summer of 1960.

He attended Academy Class #42 in the old PSB. Then he was assigned to West Central Relief for a year. On January 1, 1962 he was assigned to the World’s Fair Detail at the Center under Frank Moore #1015. This assignment lasted a year. He got to meet Elvis, Gracie Hanson (a native of Forks, Washington,) the Beatles, and several other entertainers when he worked all the rock concerts. Evidently, Ed got the entertainment bug because he became the Marching Drill Team’s Drummer.

After the World’s Fair, Ed was assigned to the International District car. Two years later he landed the walking beat there. In 1966, he was teamed up with John Richardson #2180, his Drill Team buddy, to work the car district around Harborview (then called KCH Hospital.) While on coffee break in the cafeteria, he met his future wife Janet, who was a nurse. A year later, they were married. They started a family right away. Ed needed a day job, so he saw his old sergeant (now the Interim Chief of Police) Frank Moore. Shortly thereafter, Ed was assigned to Juvenile. During this time, he and several other detectives started the Law Enforcement Shurtah Unit at the Nile.

In 1972, his old military service injuries caused his health to deteriorate to the point of forcing his retirement. Ed retired on April 17, 1972 after 12 years of service.

Ed moved his family to Forks, Washington because Gracie Hanson used to tell Ed, when they were at the Fair, how beautiful it was. Ed became a US Postal employee in the Forks Post Office from 1973 to 1987. He retired from the Postal Service when he was 60 years of age. Then he became a truck driver for a logging company for several more years. When he finally really retired, he became more active in the Fork’s Elks Lodge, which he helped start. Ed also volunteered with AARP to help other seniors do their income tax and brush up on their driving skills.

Ed lived a very active life from his days in the military, his fraternal work with the Shriners, Masons, Elks, and his employment at Boeing, the Postal Service and as a trucker. But what he was most proud of was being on the Seattle Police Department.