Retired Seattle Police Officers Association

Last Ring

Take a moment to remember our friends and associates who have passed.

Glenn Gilbert #2511, Retired Seattle Police Detective passed away on Thursday, July 1, 2021 at the age of 83.

Glenn Gilbert was born January 20, 1938 to Charlotte Parker and Norman Gilbert in Iowa City, Iowa. He passed away July 1, 2021 after a short battle with cancer.

At age 17, Glenn joined the Air Force and was stationed in Germany as a jet mechanic. While in the Air Force, he competed for the Junior Olympics in platform diving. He came to Seattle in 1962 with his first wife and young family and joined the Seattle Police Department in 1965 where he served for 25 years, first as a patrolman, then in motorcycles (including the SPD drill team), then in canines, and finally as a detective. While serving, he received a commendation from the Seattle Police Chief and the U.S. Department of Justice. Glenn earned a B.A. from the University of Puget Sound the same year his oldest daughter graduated from high school.

Glenn met the love of his life, Patty, while both were with the police department. They married in 1978 and shortly after moved to Poulsbo where they lived for 43 years. After retiring from the SPD in 1990, he joined the Seattle Municipal Court Marshalls. He also served as a Port Commissioner in Poulsbo. During his retirement, Glenn pursued three of his loves: fishing, boating and golf. He and Patty enjoyed their "little house" in Sun Cove for 24 years, their time shares in Mexico and more recently, wintering in Sun Lakes, Arizona. He was definitely a lover of sunshine. Glenn was also an avid Seahawks fan from their very first game, a voracious reader, a master woodworker, a crossword aficionado, and motorcycle enthusiast. Glenn loved his children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and his many dogs.

Glenn was preceded in death by his parents, his sister Barbara, his daughters Lisa and Kelly. He is survived by wife Patty, his children Michelle (Trevor), Norman, Russell (Sherry), Ron (Vicki), Josie and Michael (Annette), as well as his 11 grandchildren and 5 great-grandchildren

In October 1979 on a routine cold, dark and rainy Sunday night Glenn had no idea he would be involved in the bloodiest jailbreak in King County history.  While on the precinct mail run and returning the trustee to the jail, driving down James Street, Glenn saw a group of men dressed in King County overalls glancing around nervously walking up James Street.  The trustee told Glenn that something amiss.  

As he turned the patrol car around to investigate radio broadcast the first jail break alert.  At 4th Avenue & James Street the escapees started to split up.  Two getaway cars, both stolen Ford Mustangs, converged on the intersection.  David Warriner, Pierre Parent, and Roger Raynor clambered into a red Mustang driven by a white male, later identified as William Dennis Dunne.  The getaway car sped up James Street with Glenn in hot pursuit.  Pulling alongside Glenn signaled the Mustang to stop.  When Dunne failed to obey Glenn opened fire with his service revolver.  Dunne sideswiped Glenn's patrol car, slowing it down, and sped east on James Street.  While letting radio know what was happening Glenn lost sight of the Mustang at the top of the hill.
Responding officers found the Mustang crashed into a cement retaining wall at Harvard Avenue and East Union Street.  Glenn's gunfire had wounded Dunne in the left shoulder and killed Roger Raynor.  

Warriner and Parent had run from the crash scene, carjacked a Farwest Taxi at gunpoint and sped away.  At 19th Avenue near East Fir Street they skidded on the wet pavement and crashed the cab into a utility pole.  Parent was captured nearby by T.C. Miller #3271 after being taken down by Mitch.  Warriner vanished into the night.  

While this was going on, officers Frankie Alexander and Randy Benson had stopped escapees Randy Joe Williams and Gary Van Pilon on Cherry Street between Fourth and Fifth Avenues.  While the officers were handcuffing the escapees, the second getaway car, a brown Mustang, pulled alongside.  The driver, later identified as Lawrence Charles Bailey, stuck a gun out the window and shot Officer Alexander twice seriously wounding him in the chest.  The gunshot wounds would affect Frankie the rest of his life.  Pilon escaped into the vehicle as Bailey tried frantically to drive away.  Randy opened fire wounding Bailey in the chest.  The Mustang finally gained traction on the wet pavement pulled away but collided with two patrol cars at 5th Avenue and Cherry Street.  Bailey, regained control of the Mustang, and sped northbound on 5th Avenue.  

Pursuing officers forced the Mustang to the curb at 5th Avenue and Pike Street, where they took Bailey and Pilon, still wearing Frankie's handcuffs, into custody.  Glenn was finally able to return the trustee back to the jail where he was overheard saying "enough is enough".  

Two months later Glenn made detective and was assigned to Burglary/Theft where he partnered with Jack Kriney #2990.  After Jack was transferred to homicide in 1989, Glenn retired one year later on September 14, 1990 after twenty-five years of service.  In retirement Glenn kept busy.  He worked as a Municipal Court Marshal and served as Port Commissioner for the city of Poulsbo.  Glenn enjoyed golfing and fishing, but his favorite activity was going to time shares with his wife of forty-three years, Patty.