Retired Seattle Police Officers Association

Last Ring

Take a moment to remember our friends and associates who have passed.

Harvey Noot #1533, retired Seattle Police Patrolman passed away January 18, 2017. He was 88 years of age upon passing.


Harvey was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota and raised there until his early teen years. His family moved to Portland, Oregon where he went to high school. Upon graduation, he joined the Merchant Marine during the closing years of WWII. In 1950, he enrolled in Seattle University. In the fall of 1953 he earned his B.A. 

Three months later, he was hired as a Provisional Patrolman for the Seattle Police Department. Harvey spent his entire career in Patrol on nights because it fit in with his outside avocations. He worked cars in the Central Precinct, both East and West. One shift, he and Fred Kelbe were parked at 1st and Yesler with the red gumball going, a car pulled up to their rear, stopped and waited a long time. So, Harvey got out, went back to talk to the driver. He asked her why she was stopped for so long and if she needed help. She replied, “I don’t need help, I was just waiting for the red light on top of your car to turn green.” She was booked DWI. In 1960, he was assigned to the walking beats in the International District, Pioneer Square, and lower 1st Avenue.

In 1967, after thirteen years, he transferred to Georgetown. He and ex-cadet John P. Sullivan #2184 were assigned the Flat Land car. One night while Harvey was driving across the 1st Avenue South bridge, a drunk crossed over the center line and hit the prowl car head-on at a closing speed of 70 MPH. Harvey jammed up against the steering wheel. John was thrown through the windshield, onto the hood of the car. Harvey returned to duty after a couple of weeks, John was off over a month for his injuries which included a head wound. However, small pieces of glass continued to work their way up to the surface of John’s forehead scar. So he used this as an excuse not to wear his eight-point hat for the rest of the hot summer. Of course, the drunk did not even sustain a scratch.

Harvey was always a shrewd investor since his early days on the Department. So, he vested with 22 years to become a full-time developer. He and a business partner, Ray Gregor, built condos and apartment houses throughout Seattle during the mid-1970’s to 1990’s. Harvey also had his own private business as a real estate agent with Spot Realty in Poulsbo. He not only sold and listed properties, he also flipped properties when he found a lucrative opportunity. He also bought rentals.

His son, Harold Paul did the heavy lifting in the rental business. After hand digging a 100-foot trench for a water line, Harold Paul went to his dad and said, “I’m tired of this dirty, physical labor. I’m enrolling in Western University.” All Harvey replied was, “That’s my boy.”

Harold Paul graduated from Western. He loved music and thought about being a professional musician playing the trombone for a living. He told his dad, his plans. Harvey looked at him and said, “I fully support you, but not financially.” Harold Paul replied, “I really love accounting.” He joined his dad’s rental/construction business full time.

Harvey dabbled in real estate right up to the end when he could squeeze it in with his other endeavors. He was active in the Poulsbo Shriners Lodge. This small lodge generated more funds than some of the other larger lodges for the Shriner Hospital for kids. He was also active helping the local food banks. He won a lottery for a free minute of grabbing food in Gordon’s IGA. When Harvey went beyond the minute, timekeeper Gordon was advised of the violation. Gordon replied, “Don’t worry, Harvey’s taking care of the overtime and the food is going to the area’s food bank.” During Christmas, Harvey and his wife Betty would drive around to all the Salvation Army kettles and make serial donations. He was always willing to help and treated everyone respectfully. He had this same reputation when he was on the job.

Harvey’s wife of 64 years, Betty, preceded him in death by three months. He is survived by a daughter, Celine; sons Bruce, Mike, Garry and Harold Paul; numerous grand and great-grandchildren.