Retired Seattle Police Officers Association

Last Ring

Take a moment to remember our friends and associates who have passed.

Mike Scott #2557, retired Seattle Police Motorcycle Officer, passed away on December 19, 2021, at the age of 82.

Mike was born in Vallejo, California. He spent his early childhood years there. When his father, a career Navy man retired, his family moved to the Lake Forest Park neighborhood. Mike attended private schools until his sophomore year when he went hunting with his dad one school day. The school’s administrator did not think hunting was an adequate excuse to miss class. So, Mike was expelled. Then he enrolled in Roosevelt High. He loved to work on and ride motorcycles, especially British bikes after school. After graduation in 1958, he enlisted in the U.S. Navy for three years. After basic, his MOS was working on aircraft structures and their hydraulics. He was post at Sand Point Naval Air Station for his entire tour. Upon discharge he went back to California. There he worked in a grocery store for three months before getting bored. He quit and entered in the U.S. Army for three years and six months. He was posted in Germany assigned to an artillery unit as a communication specialist then as the captain’s aide. When his tour was up, he returned to Seattle where he got a job in a gas station while he applied to the Seattle Police Department.

Mike was hired on the Department on March 6, 1966. After his three-day orientation he worked patrol for several months before attending Academy Class 51. One of his classmates was Fred Kilmer #2573. When they graduated in late 1966, both were assigned to the Central Precinct working East and West Relief. In 1969 he married Shirley. During his five years in the precinct, one of his sergeants in the early 1970’s was Jerry Taylor #2533. In 1971, right after Seafair, Mike transferred to Traffic Enforcement. Three years later he moved to solos. After a couple of years, he joined the Motorcycle Drill Team. One of his partners on bikes was Dick Gagnon #3145. During one overtime shift working traffic control during a Seahawks game at the King Dome, Mike and Dick were assigned to the North Lot to prevent traffic entering the lot thus forcing traffic to go west only. A young woman driver pulled up in an open convertible. She stood up in the car and yelled “I want to park in the lot.” Mike stopped her and Dick told her to turn westbound only. She refused and kept yelling “I need to go straight into the lot.” Both Mike and Dick explained “No. Westbound turns only.” This exchange continued for some time while she blocked the intersection and backed up traffic. Finally, frustrated she yelled “F@%K you guys!” Dick, without missing a beat, replied “I am busy now. Pull over and I will get right to you!” She drove off in a huff.

Dick and Mike were not just bike partners, they were neighbors who socialized and raised their children together. Mike was Dick’s daughter Lisa’s godfather. Her twin, Lori called him Uncle Mike because he was such a large part of their life. He and Dick would assemble the children’s toys together. It took a lot of beer and swearing to complete the projects. Dick went to the detectives. Mike stayed in traffic until 1989. Then he returned to patrol in the North Precinct where he partnered up with Fred Kilmer his old academy mate. Mike’s hearing deteriorated due to the noise on bikes and detonation of rounds in the military and his police career. It got so bad that he retired in 1992 after 26 years of service.

In retirement from 1992 to 2002, Mike and his wife Shirley rode around the states on their motorcycle. They often travelled with the motorcycle club “Red Rat Riders.” During the rainy weather they would go in their RV. The goal was to visit every national park. All during their early years and into retirement they decorated their front yard every year turning it into a haunted house for Halloween. Mike would start building in early September. In 2002, their special needs granddaughter McKinsey was born. Her mother with all her other children was unable to dedicate enough time to her so Mike and Shirley raised McKinsey until she died. While caring for her the met Melissa in 2010 who helped Mike and Shirley tend to McKinsey. After McKinsey died in 2018, followed by Shirley in 2019, Melissa took care of Mike until his passing. Mike was known throughout his life as being kind and generous. He would give you the shirt off his back.

Mike was preceded in death by his wife of 50 years, Shirley, his daughter Michelle, son Joey and granddaughter McKinsey. He is survived by his daughter Angela, four grandchildren and good friend and caretaker Melissa.