Retired Seattle Police Officers Association

Last Ring

Take a moment to remember our friends and associates who have passed.


Morest “Morey” Skaret #406, retired Seattle Police Lieutenant passed away on March 27, 2014 at the age of 100 years and 7 months.
Morey’s parents migrated from Norway to Alberta, Canada in 1911. Two years later, Morey was born at home on the family’s 160 acre prairie sod homestead. The winters were bitter cold and the summers were unbearably hot. The work was back-breaking. So in 1920, the family immigrated to the US and settled in West Seattle. Morey got his first job as a nine-year-old selling the Seattle Star newspaper to help his family financially. He did this until he graduated from high school. After graduation, he became a hobo, riding the rails for a few months. He returned to Seattle and joined the new CCC (Civilian Conservation Corp) Federal Program. He was stationed on the Kitsap Peninsula where he learned the lumber business. His next job was piloting a log boom tow boat on Puget Sound. Then he went to work at the City’s Traffic Engineering Department. But he kept his inland boatman’s card active, occasionally he filled in as a deckhand on the ferries. He did this until the spring of 1941. Then he joined the Seattle Police Department. While waiting to attend the Police Academy in the old Police Headquarters in the 400 block of Yesler Way, he walked a beat and directed traffic at 2nd and Union while standing on an elevated platform, wearing white gloves. He attended Class #7, called the Class the Stars Fell on, because so many members made chiefs, inspectors, and directors. A few months after graduation, Morey could see the war clouds gathering, so he joined the Coast Guard three months before the Pearl Harbor attack. He commanded a ship in the South Pacific during the war and into 1946, then he returned to the Police Department. He worked Patrol for the next five years. Then on May 24, 1951, he was reactivated during the Korean War. Again, he commanded a ship – a Landing Ship Tank (LST) for two years. He returned to Seattle and resigned from the Department in order to be hired by the State of Washington to be Chief of Fisheries for the next four years. In 1957, Morey returned to the Department to work Patrol for many years. During these years, he recruited several Coastie Reserves onto the Department, such as Dave Malland #2553. In 1968, Dick Johnson #2519, a former Cadet – now brand new officer – was assigned to Morey. He told Dick, “you make me feel old, your dad broke me in at the Ballard Precinct twenty-six years ago.” A year later, Morey was promoted to sergeant. He stayed in patrol. He retired from the Coast Guard as a full four-stripe captain in 1973. On August 1, 1978, Morey was promoted to lieutenant, assigned a Georgetown Watch. In 1979, Morey responded to a robbery in progress at Kettells on 4th South. He jumped the stick-up man, knocking the rifle to the ground. Now the fight was on. The robber was young and tough, and Morey was not quite as skookum as he used to be. So he grabbed a bubblegum vending machine and clobbered the suspect, knocking him out. The new Chief of Police was not too impressed with this fantastic arrest without a use of force packet. He reminded Morey that a 67 year old lieutenant should stay off the street and sit in his office. Then the Chief transferred Morey to the Harbor Station. He would come to work at daybreak, work for three hours, then go home to prepare his sick wife’s breakfast. One day as he arrived, be noticed that an impounded sailboat had sunk at the Station’s dock. He worriedly asked Nick Bulpin #2185, “Whom do I notify downtown?” Nick replied, “Go home, take care of your wife, and we’ll take care of the ketch.” Morey went home to feed his wife and when he returned, the ketch was afloat. Morey, pointing at the ketch, asked Nick, “What happened?” Nick retorted, “Nothing, it just resurfaced. It’s a submarine, not a sailing ketch so you don’t need to call downtown.” End of story.
Morey retired at the end of 1980 after 39 1/2 years, with six of those years in the military during war times and four years with the State of Washington Department of Fisheries.
His two wives, Marjorie and then Bonnie; two brothers, Arl and Harvey; two sisters, Viv and Doris all preceded him in death. He is survived by his daughters, Marlene, Cheryl, Linda and Susan; brother, Al; four grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; and his very good, constant companion, Elsie Freeland.