Retired Seattle Police Officers Association

Last Ring

Take a moment to remember our friends and associates who have passed.

Richard “Dick” Carr #3323, Retired Seattle Police Patrol Officer who after retirement became a Civilian Quartermaster at the South Precinct, passed away on October 8, 2021 at 80 years of age.  Dick was hired on January 6, 1970 and retired after 31 years of service on May 8, 2001.

Dick was born in Seattle and raised in the Capitol Hill neighborhood. He attended Seattle Prep. He played football there. In his sophomore year he met his lifelong sweetheart Mary at one of his mother’s beauty salons in Burien. After graduating in 1961, Dick enrolled in the U of W. In his junior year, Uncle Sam caught up with him. He was drafted in 1964 and posted in Georgia his entire tour. Mary and Dick got married in July of 1964. When his tour was up in 1965, they returned to Seattle with baby Alan. Dick landed a job with Boeing for a year before a long union strike caused him to look for another line of work. He became a new car salesman at a Chrysler dealership. He eventually worked his way up to sales manager. After three years, he decided to change occupations and applied to the Seattle police department.

Dick joined the police department on July 6, 1970. He spent his entire 31-year career in south end patrol. He was a member of the Department’s early attempts to form a SWAT unit made up of volunteers from Georgetown third watch. He was a Field Training Officer for many years. During this time, Dick attended UPS on LEEP and VA funding to finish his B.A. in political science and earned a master’s degree in public administration. He was also very active in SPOG politics and held the position of secretary/treasurer. During his free hours to relax he played soccer on the department’s team. As his family grew, he started to moonlight more. His steady off duty job was working for the King County Housing Authority in West Seattle. His occasional jobs were working sporting events at the Kingdome and rock shows at the Seattle Center. In the 1980’s, Dick and another man co-coached an all-girls soccer team for eight years. In 1989, he was approached by a group of Croatian immigrants to form a semi-pro soccer team. The players were not paid but got to tour Canada and the USA (including Hawaii) to play other semi-pro teams. Dick did this for ten years.

Dick retired as an officer in 2001. But he did not quit working. He became the South Precinct’s Station Master for a short time. Then moved to the new Southwest Precinct to organize the station’s facilities. Finally he moved to the West Precinct as the Station Master. Dick was not only a Station Master, but he organized the feeding logistics for a large U.O. He provided better food than the outsourced caterers – no more boxed lunches, now it was all hot meals. He was a Station Master for seven years before fully retiring.

During his non-working years starting in 2008, Dick and Mary motor coached all across Canada and the U.S. Dick was also secretary/treasurer of the Eagles Aerie #1.

Son Steve preceded Dick in death. He is survived by his wife of 57 years, Mary, sons Alan and Jeff, daughter in law Jonny (surviving spouse of Steve), three grandsons and four granddaughters. Dick was the uncle of retired Seattle Police Detective Pilar (Portugal) Curtis #4733 and former Police Explorer Mark Portugal.