Retired Seattle Police Officers Association

Last Ring

Take a moment to remember our friends and associates who have passed.

Robert Buston #1573, retired Seattle Police Officer passed away on June 17, 2014. He was 87 years of age upon passing.

Bob was born in Ogden, Utah a year before the Great Depression. There were very limited job opportunities for his father. So the family moved to Seattle. This is where Bob lived for most of his life. After graduating from Lincoln High in 1945, he got a job as a Merchant Seaman sailing around the world for several years. Then along came the Korean War. Bob enlisted in the US Marines. Between his Seaman’s and military travels, he’d seen enough of the world to decide that Seattle was “home sweet home.” So upon completion of his duty tour, he returned to Seattle.

Bob got a civilian job with the City of Seattle before applying to the Department. The Seattle Police Department hired him on August 5, 1954. After six years working in a prowl car, he was assigned to the City Jail. There, he worked with Earl Fisher, Archie Porter #1359, and Don Vert #2160, who was the rookie. In 1966 Bob returned to West Central Patrol. Two years later he was walking the beat in the International District until 1973. Then he transferred to Wallingford where he finished out his career, retiring with 25 years of service with the City on March 22, 1978.

While Bob was working, he was famous for his fly tying. He went to swap meets, vendor shows, and even the Market to sell his flies. So when he retired, he opened a fishing business called Kingfisher. He had all of his kids tying flies and making plugs. His sales were throughout the entire Pacific Northwest. After a while, Bob got tired of running the business and sold it. He moved to Kendall in Whatcom County next to the Nooksack River. There he enjoyed the outdoors, hunting, fishing, camping, and going to the casino.

Bob is survived by his eleven adult children, Linda, Terry, Robert Jr., Ralph, Joanne, Rod, Denise, Gary, Jim, Mike, and Mary; 35 grandchildren and 28 great-grandchildren.

Ray Schork #1406, retired Seattle Police Major passed away at home on June 22, 2014. He was 92 years of age at passing.

Ray was born in Manhattan, New York City. Upon graduating from high school in 1941, he immediately attended military summer camp. Right after the Pearl Harbor Attack on December 7, 1941, he enlisted in the Regular Army. He was assigned to an anti-aircraft battery in the Denny Regrade area to protect the approach to Boeing’s assembly plants and the airfield. After a few months, he got tired of fending off pigeons and seagulls from bombarding Boeing facilities. So he requested to be reassigned to the Army Air Corps to be trained at Paine Field south of Everett. Next he was sent to Pullman, Washington for flight training. After all this special training, the Army, in its infinite wisdom, sent Ray back to the infantry to General Patton’s 3rd Army in Europe. There, Ray was awarded the Bronze Star for bravery. When WWII ended, he stayed in the Army Reserves. He returned to Seattle, and on September 30, 1946, he went to work for City Transit until January 1, 1953. The very next day he became a Provisional Patrolman for the Seattle Police Department. When asked why he moved to the police department, he replied that he got tired following the trolley lines.

Ray worked Patrol West Central. Within four years he was walking the one-man beat in Belltown, just north of the Market. Five years later, he transferred to the Special Squad to work with Riley Brice #1826. After motivational counselling by their sergeant Neil Moloney #1527, the pair set a squad record of 60 felony arrests in a month. They continued this pace under Moloney’s scrutiny. After two years of this, Ray figured it was time to move on, so he took the sergeant’s test and passed. He went back to Patrol as a sergeant in 1965. Two years later he returned to the squad. His office coffee cup had the face and ears of an Easter rabbit, so quickly his fellow sergeants nicknamed Ray “Bunny Cup”. This ribbing helped motivate Ray to take the lieutenant’s test. Again he passed and was promoted on January 1, 1969. The next year he was promoted to captain in charge of Training. Within eighteen months, he was promoted again, to Major. He was a strong supporter of Chief of Police George Tielsch. Ray retired on January 1, 1976 with 30 years of service.

During his years on the Department, he remained active in the Army Military Police Reserves, stationed at Fort Lawton. He attained the rank of Chief Warrant Officer IV. Ray was not interested in sitting on his laurels. He went to work at the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission for the next five years. But his heart was still with the Department, so when the position of Executive Secretary of the Police Pension Office became available, Ray applied and got it. He was the Executive Secretary from late 1980 through 1990.

Finally, after forty-five years of working, not counting his military time, his wife Carol convinced Ray to retire. During these years they became world travelers and boating aficionados. In fact, Ray became a Master Fisherman, fishing the waters from Puget Sound, all the way to Alaska.

Ray is survived by his wife Carol; ten adult children; twenty grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren. Ray’s son Mike is a King County Custody Officer. Mike’s wife Carol also works in the jail.