Pension Office News | May 2018
- Notice that Seattle Police Pension Board Nomination Period is open. Pursuant to RCW 41.26.010, written notice is hereby given, via this announcement, that the nomination period is now open through May 23, 2018, for one member-elected Trustee position on the Seattle Police Pension Board.
The Trustee position of the Seattle Police Relief and Pension and LEOFF 1 Disability Board runs from July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2021. Only LEOFF 1 and Pre-LEOFF active duty or retired sworn members of the Seattle Police Department and the Seattle Police Relief and Pension Fund are eligible for nomination and election to this position.
Candidates must be willing and able to perform sometimes complex, confidential, and fiduciary duties including attendance and participation in at least one business meeting per quarter, plus other tasks as the Board may require. No compensation is authorized for serving on the Pension Board.
Eligible candidates who wish to file for nomination and stand for election may obtain a nomination form by contacting the Pension Office at 206-386-1286, via fax at 206-386-9075, or by email at email@example.com, or you may pick up a nomination form during business hours at the Seattle Police Pension Office – 700 5th Avenue, Suite 1862, Seattle, 98124 throughout the nomination period.
All completed and properly endorsed (by not less than five members of the fund) nomination forms must be physically filed with (returned to) the Seattle Police Pension Office no later than 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday, May 23rd, 2018 in order to be valid. (Download the Nomination Form)
The actual election will be held on Thursday, June 7, 2018 between 7:30 a.m. and 8:30 p.m., in the Police Headquarters lobby on 5th and Cherry.
- Now is the time for the bi-annual (December – May) premium sharing reimbursement for those members that have active employer provided healthcare coverage. You must request this reimbursement in writing with proof of payments. Any questions, call Jan at 206-386-1286, Option #1.
- For those dual entitled retirees receiving a City excess benefits check from the City in addition to their State DRS check, remember: the 2018 State COLA effective at the end of April, increased the DRS check 3.23% which will reduce your City excess benefit check.
- If your Audiologist and/or eye care provider has questions about your benefits or a claim question, have them contact UMR directly, or you can call the UMR members only line directly at 1-800-207-3172 and ask to speak to the Police Pension Team. You can ask a team member to call your provider directly. The Pension Office does not have any claim information.
- If you are holding 2016 and now 2017 out-of-pocket expenses for reimbursement by Premera, UMR has agreed to make out-of-pocket reimbursements for officer pensioners for all of these medical /RX/vision services. So, you will not have to go through Premera. This only applied to you, not your providers.
- Do you have a new spouse? Please be sure to let the Pension Office know. Contact Stephanie at 206-386-1286, option #2, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, be sure to contact DRS at 1-800-547-6657 and advise them of your good news! Please know that you have ONE TIME ONLY (Day 366 through the end of the 2nd year of marriage to add a new spouse for any potential pension should you, the member, pass away first. Remember, if you have married after retirement, your new spouse will not receive any of your pension, if you pass away first, unless you make arrangements for it. There is an actuarial reduction in your pension for this. Otherwise, the only benefit your spouse will receive is a $300 stipend.
- Final Resting Place – Contrary to some beliefs, the Pension Office does not have a benefit available for our members for your final resting place arrangements at the time of your passing. We strongly encourage you to pre-arrange your final resting plans for yourself. The Pension Office will not be able to assist in this matter. You should advise your spouse/executor and/or your Power of Attorney of your wishes. If you have questions, contact Stephanie at 206-386-1286, option #2.
- Pension Verification Letters – Typically, when purchasing another home or refinancing your home, your lender may require a “Pension Verification Letter.” These letters can take up to a business week to complete. If you are receiving a pension from DRS only, you can log onto your DRS account (www.drs.we.gov) and print the letter out directly! If you are dually entitled and receiving a City check, you will need to call our office at 206-386-1286 option #2 and request a letter. We will work on each request in the order they are received. Please be kind and give us some lead time.
- Eddie and Rosemary Rivera have been raising funds for the City of Maricopa Police Canine Unit and the restoration of Maricopa’s 1949 Ford fire truck. So far, they have raised over $10,000 for these great causes. They are asking for a little help. Please visit the website for the charity golf event at www.p4pgolf.com/silentheroes. If you scroll down to the putt-a-thon donation page, you will see that Dave Abe #4188 has registered for the event, challenging the police chief and the Fire chief to a putt-off. All donations are tax deductible.
Wives & Widows
Erma Hartsfield, wife of deceased retired Seattle Police Patrolman Howard Hartsfield #1296, passed away on March 16, 2018 at the age of 95.
Maryanne Peterson, wife of deceased retired Seattle Police Motorcycle Sergeant Paul Peterson #1721, passed away on March 28, 2018 at the age of 85.
Frances Buckley, wife of deceased retired Seattle Police Beat Sergeant/Marching Drill Team Captain Sam Buckley #1416, passed away on March 31, 2018 at the age of 65.